The Northrop A-17, a development of the Northrop Gamma 2F, was a two seat, single engine, monoplane, attack bomber built in 1935 by the Northrop Corporation for the US Army Air Corps.
The A-17 entered service in February 1936, and proved a reliable and popular aircraft. However, in 1938, the Air Corps decided that attack aircraft should be multi-engined, rendering the A-17 surplus to requirements. The last remaining A-17s, used as utility aircraft, were retired from USAAF service in 1944.
In 1939, 93 ex-USAAC aircraft were purchased by France and given new engines. Not having been delivered before the fall of France, sixty one were taken over by the British Purchasing Commission for the RAF and given the name Nomad. They were assessed as being obsolete and sent to South Africa for use as trainers. The remaining thirty two aircraft from the French order were transferred to Canada, where they were also used as advanced trainers. The Republic of China Air Force received some of A-17 aircraft as well.